After years of experience and PMP certification under your belt, is PgMP the next logical step?
Here is what PMI website says about PgMP and who should apply,
Who Should Apply? – If you have the proven ability to manage multiple, related projects and navigate complex activities that span functions, organizations, regions or cultures and to align results with organizational goals, then you’re a potential PgMP.
Below are the top 3 reasons to consider PgMP and also why one shouldn’t consider it –
Why consider PgMP Certification?
1. If you already have Program Management experience (6000 hours of it is mandatory as a pre-requisite for PgMP, more on PMI Certification pre-requisites here) and you want to solidify the experience with a tag of certification you should definitely consider PgMP by all means
2. If your job requires PgMP certification then there is no getting around it. There are organizations that encourage and even mandate certain certifications for its employees
3. If you want to stand out from the crowd, PgMP is one way of doing so as there are only ~2000 PgMP certification holders at the moment. PgMP can shine as a rare jewel in your resume
Why not to consider PgMP Certification?
1. While there are only ~2000 certified PgMPs currently, isn’t that a sign of the lesser industry demand for the certification? If it was in huge demand, wouldn’t everyone be rushing after it?
2. If you are considering switching jobs or changing industries and looking for PgMP to help you do so, you should probably consider something else. Just take a look at the number of jobs on local job portals that list PgMP as a must-have. Chances are, there aren’t many jobs like that!
3. PfMP is the next level after PgMP and by the time you are caught up with PgMP and then PfMP, PMI may possibly come up with yet another higher level certification. The returns you can expect after these certifications aren’t ground breaking and the law of diminishing returns does apply
Ultimately, it is upto you whether or not you want to get yourself a PgMP. Whatever you decide, do consider the points above.
Check more certifications